NHRC defers hearing on Mullaperiyar issue till March
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) on Monday deferred till March hearing on the
Mullaperiyar Dam issue, saying it will wait till the Supreme
Court-appointed empowered committee submits its report.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the full
commission of the NHRC on the dam issue, a senior NHRC
"The Commission has decided to wait till the empowered
committee submits its report on February 29," the official
The NHRC has last week decided to refer the case to the
Full Commission following a representation by Kerala MPs.
The Mullaperiyar Dam in Kerala`s Idukki district has been
a sparring point for the state with Tamil Nadu for quite some
time now. While Tamil Nadu wants to increase the water-level
in the reservoir, Kerala has been insisting that it be reduced
from the current 136 feet to 120 feet.
Kerala is willing to construct a new dam for supplying
water to Tamil Nadu, which is opposing the move concerned over
losing control over the functionality of the dam.
Various groups in Kerala had been arguing that the dam
cannot withstand higher magnitude earthquakes and posed a
threat to lives and properties of over three million people in
Idukki, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta
districts of the state.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore