NIA questions Italian navy witnesses in marines case
Rome: Indian investigators are questioning four Italian marines in Rome as witnesses in the killing of two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast last year.
According to a report by the news agency ANSA, the interrogation by video-conferencing is taking place at the Indian embassy in Rome.
The Indian media last month reported differences between its National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the country`s law ministry on how to proceed with the case after four colleagues of the two arrested marines expressed their inability to visit India to depose before court.
Two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Valentine, on a fishing boat were shot dead Feb 15, 2012, allegedly by members of an Italian Vessel Protection Detachment deployed on the Italian-flagged oil-tanker MT Enrica Lexie, around 20 nautical miles off the coast of Kerala.
The two marines, Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, were arrested after the incident and are being tried for murder.
ANSA, citing Indian embassy sources, said the four navy riflemen are being heard in the presence of Italian government envoy Staffan De Mistura.
India`s External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid last month ruled out any out-of-court settlement in the issue as it was a criminal case, unless such settlement is ordered by the court itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack