NIA questions Kerala IG over terror links
New Delhi: Central probe agency NIA has questioned a senior Kerala IPS officer for his alleged association with certain people having terror links whom he had met during his Qatar visit earlier this year.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which has been assigned to look into the matter by the Centre, has questioned Inspector General of Police Tomin J Thachankary
thrice, official sources said, adding that a team of the probe agency is likely to visit Qatar for recording statements of officials at the Indian Mission there.
The NIA will file its report soon after recording the statement of the Indian Ambassador to Qatar, Deepa Gopalan Wadhwa, the sources said.
The Centre had ordered through investigations after it received a report from its Qatar mission as well as from other security agencies about the alleged misconduct of Thachankary.
According to reports, Thachankary, a 1987 batch IPS officer, had allegedly met some persons in Qatar who are said to have terror links. The charges were, however, refuted by
The reports had claimed that Thachankary met some Keralites allegedly having terror links in the Gulf and offered to help them return to their home state.
The External Affairs Ministry had passed on this information to the Home Ministry which had asked the state government to carry-out investigations in the matter.
Thachankary was suspended when he was IG (Kannur) some months back for making a foreign trip allegedly without government permission in violation of the service rules.
Earlier also, he was suspended following a case relating to amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income. However, he was re-instated following a High Court order as the vigilance probe in the case kept dragging on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?