Nigerian, Mumbai woman held in cheating case
Kollam: A Nigerian national and a woman from Mumbai have been arrested by Kerala police from Mumbai for defrauding a Kerala-based entrepreneur offering a business deal for a medicated oil claiming it has aphrodisiac potential.
According to police, Frank Ogbonnyaya, a Nigerian, and his accomplice Jyotsna Ahluwalia from Mumbai, allegedly cheated Anil Kumar from Thiruvananthapuram of a big amount by contacting him over internet and mobile phone.
The duo was brought here on Sunday and would be produced in a local court Monday.
The fraudsters offered financial partnership with Kumar for the export of the oil promising it would fetch him as high a profit as 25,000 USD.
After striking the deal through mobile phone and e-mail, Kumar was asked to deposit his share in the business in different accounts in banks in Mumbai, which he complied with expecting to make handsome returns.
In his complaint, Kumar said he had deposited Rs 1.5 crore in accounts as suggested by the Nigerian and his accomplice, who said he would soon get the ingredients and recipe for the making the "wonder drug."
They bluffed him saying that the oil could be exported to various African countries, including Nigeria, which have a flourishing market for such products.
As Kumar failed to get any response from the duo once he deposited the amount, he lodged a complaint with the police.
The investigators first traced Jyotsna by tracking her mobile phone through which she had contacted Kumar. Then they went to Mumbai with Anil and tracked down the Nigerian also and both were arrested with the help of Mumbai police a couple of days back.
Police suspected that the duo formed part of a wider hi-tech gang that would have defrauded more people in different parts of the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read