Nigerian, Mumbai woman held in cheating case
Kollam: A Nigerian national and a woman from Mumbai have been arrested by Kerala police from Mumbai for defrauding a Kerala-based entrepreneur offering a business deal for a medicated oil claiming it has aphrodisiac potential.
According to police, Frank Ogbonnyaya, a Nigerian, and his accomplice Jyotsna Ahluwalia from Mumbai, allegedly cheated Anil Kumar from Thiruvananthapuram of a big amount by contacting him over internet and mobile phone.
The duo was brought here on Sunday and would be produced in a local court Monday.
The fraudsters offered financial partnership with Kumar for the export of the oil promising it would fetch him as high a profit as 25,000 USD.
After striking the deal through mobile phone and e-mail, Kumar was asked to deposit his share in the business in different accounts in banks in Mumbai, which he complied with expecting to make handsome returns.
In his complaint, Kumar said he had deposited Rs 1.5 crore in accounts as suggested by the Nigerian and his accomplice, who said he would soon get the ingredients and recipe for the making the "wonder drug."
They bluffed him saying that the oil could be exported to various African countries, including Nigeria, which have a flourishing market for such products.
As Kumar failed to get any response from the duo once he deposited the amount, he lodged a complaint with the police.
The investigators first traced Jyotsna by tracking her mobile phone through which she had contacted Kumar. Then they went to Mumbai with Anil and tracked down the Nigerian also and both were arrested with the help of Mumbai police a couple of days back.
Police suspected that the duo formed part of a wider hi-tech gang that would have defrauded more people in different parts of the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city