Nine students arrested for anti-Modi remarks in campus magazine
Guruvayur: Nine students of the Sree Krishna college here were on Sunday arrested in the case pertaining to their campus magazine containing unsavoury remarks against Prime Minister Narendra Modi, police said.
Those arrested, and let off on bail soon, included Student Editor of the magazine, its sub-editors and editorial advisory committee members, police said.
They had been charged under various Sections of the IPC including 153 (wantonly giving provocation, punishment for defamation and printing matter known to be defamatory).
Police had registered the case against these students as the magazine was found to have used "objectionable and unsavoury" language against Modi, garbed as a crossword puzzle.
The Guruvyaur Sree Krishna temple managing committee, which runs the college, had sought an explanation from the principal in connection with the case.
This was the second such case reported from the area after the campus magazine of a polytechnic college featured Modi in the list of "negative faces" along with Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, George Bush and a few other internationally-known figures.
The principal and a few students of the polytechnic college were arrested and let-off on bail last week after police had charged them under the same sections of the IPC.
Police also raided the polytechnic college and seized 392 copies of the magazine, a computer and hard discs of the designers of the magazine.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note