Nine washed away in flash floods in Kerala
Kozhikode (Ker): Nine persons, including five of a family, were washed away in flashfloods triggered by heavy rains in Kozhikode and Kannur districts in north Kerala, official sources said on Tuesday.
Eight of the deaths were reported in Pulloorampara hill region of Kozhikode district where flash floods washed away some houses yesterday, while a boy drowned in flood waters in Kannur district this morning.
About 40 houses have been damaged in the flash floods in Pullorampara where the heavy downpour also triggered four landslips resulting in road blocks.
An elderly couple, their daughter-in-law and two grandchildren, including a three-year-old boy, were swept away by the deluge in Kozhikode yesterday.
Three other bodies were recovered by rescue teams from different areas in and around Kozhikode, officials said.
In neighbouring Kannur district, nine-year-old Akshay was swept away by the swirling flood waters in Iritty.
Rehabilitation work is on in full swing and people from low lying areas have been evacuated to safer places in the two districts even as the threat of further landslips loomed large in Iritty region, officials said.
The Malabar region, including Kozhikode, Wayanad, Kannur and Kasargod districts, has been experiencing heavy rains since last night.
Kerala Chief minister Oommen Chandy, who is in Delhi, said the state government would provide all help to the people affected by the flash floods in the two districts.
State Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan visited Iritty region and assured all assistance to the affected.
Officials said Pazhassi dam near Iritty was overflowing and about 120 shops in the town and Sreekantapuram have been inundated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack