Nine washed away in flash floods in Kerala
Kozhikode (Ker): Nine persons, including five of a family, were washed away in flashfloods triggered by heavy rains in Kozhikode and Kannur districts in north Kerala, official sources said on Tuesday.
Eight of the deaths were reported in Pulloorampara hill region of Kozhikode district where flash floods washed away some houses yesterday, while a boy drowned in flood waters in Kannur district this morning.
About 40 houses have been damaged in the flash floods in Pullorampara where the heavy downpour also triggered four landslips resulting in road blocks.
An elderly couple, their daughter-in-law and two grandchildren, including a three-year-old boy, were swept away by the deluge in Kozhikode yesterday.
Three other bodies were recovered by rescue teams from different areas in and around Kozhikode, officials said.
In neighbouring Kannur district, nine-year-old Akshay was swept away by the swirling flood waters in Iritty.
Rehabilitation work is on in full swing and people from low lying areas have been evacuated to safer places in the two districts even as the threat of further landslips loomed large in Iritty region, officials said.
The Malabar region, including Kozhikode, Wayanad, Kannur and Kasargod districts, has been experiencing heavy rains since last night.
Kerala Chief minister Oommen Chandy, who is in Delhi, said the state government would provide all help to the people affected by the flash floods in the two districts.
State Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan visited Iritty region and assured all assistance to the affected.
Officials said Pazhassi dam near Iritty was overflowing and about 120 shops in the town and Sreekantapuram have been inundated.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says