No action after four years of Kerala boat tragedy
Thiruvananthapuram: Four years after an ill-fated boat sank in the Thekkady wild life reserve in Kerala, killing 45 tourists, the crime branch of the Kerala Police is yet to submit the final chargesheet to the court.
The judicial commission under Justice (retd) E Moideen Kunju, appointed to investigate the tragedy, has submitted the report to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, indicting the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) for the accident, no action has been taken so far.
The probe report concluded that the boat which had a capacity to carry 76 passengers was overloaded and hence the accident took place.
The commission also blamed those responsible for buying this boat as it did not meet the safety requirements, and found the boat driver was not a professional but amateur.
The crime branch then arrested surveyor KK Sanjeev, NA Giri, official of the firm based in Chennai that manufactured the boat, Victor Samuel (the driver of the boat), his assistant, a forest guard and M Mathews, the chief boat inspector.
All of them are currently on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered