No action after four years of Kerala boat tragedy
Thiruvananthapuram: Four years after an ill-fated boat sank in the Thekkady wild life reserve in Kerala, killing 45 tourists, the crime branch of the Kerala Police is yet to submit the final chargesheet to the court.
The judicial commission under Justice (retd) E Moideen Kunju, appointed to investigate the tragedy, has submitted the report to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, indicting the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) for the accident, no action has been taken so far.
The probe report concluded that the boat which had a capacity to carry 76 passengers was overloaded and hence the accident took place.
The commission also blamed those responsible for buying this boat as it did not meet the safety requirements, and found the boat driver was not a professional but amateur.
The crime branch then arrested surveyor KK Sanjeev, NA Giri, official of the firm based in Chennai that manufactured the boat, Victor Samuel (the driver of the boat), his assistant, a forest guard and M Mathews, the chief boat inspector.
All of them are currently on bail.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family