No action against police officials in ISRO case: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government on Friday said it would not take disciplinary action against the three police officers who initiated the ISRO spy case.
"The state government has decided not to take disciplinary action against the three police officials who initiated the ISRO spy case," Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said in a written reply in the assembly today.
The case pertaining to alleged transfer of secret documents on India`s space programme to foreign countries by two scientists and four others, including two Maldivian women, was first investigated by a Special Investigation Team.
It was later handed over to CBI, which found no espionage as alleged had taken place.
Chandy said CBI has mentioned the names of Sibi Mathew (former ADGP and now state Chief Information Commissioner), K K Joshua (then Superintendent of Police) and S Vijayan (then Circle Inspector) and government has decided not to take disciplinary action against them.
On whether the government plans to give any compensation to the Maldivian women involved, Chandy said "it is not under the consideration of the government".
The government`s decision not to proceed with action against the three police officials as recommended by CBI while closing the case had also triggered a debate on the issue.
The agency had recommended action against them for unprofessional conduct of enquiry into the case".
The Kerala High Court had last month ordered the government to pay Rs 10 lakh interim compensation to Nambi Narayanan, an ISRO scientist, for falsely implicating him in the case.
Chandy had said the government would look into the demand of former KPCC president K Muraleedharan, son of veteran Congress leader late K Karunakaran, to take action against these officers.
Karunakaran had to resign from the post of Chief Minister after a section of Congress leaders came out against him accusing him of shielding an officer allegedly involved in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof