‘No breach of security during PM`s Kerala visit’
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 15:43
  
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government on Wednesday said there was no breach of security during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to the state last week when a private car almost entered the road through which his convoy was moving.

Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told the Assembly that when police personnel in the pilot car of the convoy noticed the private vehicle they turned it away and it did not pose any security threat.

He was replying to a submission by K Babu (Cong) on the December 25 incident when Singh was proceeding to Thrissur Town Hall from Kuttanellur helipad to pay homage to veteran Congress leader K Karunakaran, who died on December 23.

However, DGP Jacob Punnoose had been asked to probe how the lapse occurred as policemen had been posted in the area, he said.

Though the Prime Minister's visit was at a short notice, the police force had done a commendable job, he said.

Babu said that incident was a serious matter and needed a probe to ensure that such things did not repeat.

The eight-km road between Kuttanellur and Town Hall had been blocked by police for the safe passage of the convoy.

However, when it reached Nadathara Junction, the private car ran into the main road causing anxiety to the Special Protection Group and the police.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 15:43


comments powered by Disqus