‘No decision yet on filing case against Kurien`
Kochi: Kerala Government on Tuesday informed the High Court that it had not yet taken a final decision on whether or not to register the complaint filed by the Suryanelli rape victim against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien seeking to make him an accused in the case.
Director General of Prosecutions T Asaf Ali submitted that even though police had received the complaint from the victim, a final decision had not been taken on whether or not to register the same.
The fresh complaint was lodged at Chingavanam Police Station in Kottayam stating that Kurien should be made an accused in the light of `revelations` by another accused, Dharmarajan, that it was he who had taken the Congress leader to the Kumily rest house on February 19, 1996 when the girl was allegedly raped by several persons.
The victim had also wanted that Dharmarajan, Unnikrishnan and Jamal be also arraigned as accused in the new case. Police had accepted the complaint, but refused to register the same.
The government`s submission was made when the court was hearing a petition by the Kerala Mahila Sangam, seeking a direction to the state and DGP to conduct an investigation against Kurien in the light of the victim`s allegation against him.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and justice Vinod Chandran, before whom the petition by Kamala Sadanandan, General secretary of the Sangam, came up, directed the DGP to give the state`s views on the maintainability of the petition.
The bench also sought the views of the petitioner and the state government on whether an organisation can seek such a relief.
The petitioner also sought to call for the records relating to the investigation, into the role of Kurien, if any, conducted by Sibi Mathews, who headed the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which probed the case.
Kurien is facing calls for his resignation from the Rajya Sabha post after the rape victim recently wrote to her lawyer seeking to explore possibility of reopening the investigation against the Congress leader.
However, he has maintained that he had been cleared of charges by Supreme Court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Please do not speculate: Police to commentators
- German president 'horrified' by 'murderous attack' in Munich
- Munich newspaper says has unconfirmed report one shooter dead
- Indian consulate in Munich puts out advisory
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman