No evidence about `Love Jihad`: Kerala DGP to HC
Kochi: Kerala Police on Wednesday told the High
Court that no conclusive evidence had been received about
existence of `Love Jihad` movement, where young non-Muslim
girls are allegedly trapped into marriage and converted into
In a statement filed in the court, Director General of
Police Jacob Punnose said he could not come to "a definite all
conclusive finding" due to divergence in contents of reports
from SPs of different districts and subordinate officers on
the organised work of the `Love Jihad` in the state.
The DGP also submitted 18 reports of SPs in a sealed
cover to the court, complying with its October 26 directive.
The court had expressed dissatisfaction with the DGP`s
earlier statement, saying some of his answers were `vague` and
statements did not `reconcile` with each other. It had
directed him to produce by today in a sealed cover the reports
based on which he made his statements on the `Love Jihad`.
The DGP, in a statement on Oct 22, had told the court
there were reasons to suspect `concentrated attempts` to
persuade non-Muslim girls to convert to Islam after they fall
in love with Muslim boys, but no organisation called `Love
Jihad` had been identified so far in the state.
Punnose in his statement today said he had received some
information from some units based on "source inputs" which
suggested `clandestine design` of certain groups aimed at
religious conversion through "deceitful means".
He said the contents of three reports lacked supportive
evidence and were often based on hearsay. No cogent material
was available in the three reports to make an unambigious
statement on the truth of allegations of forced conversions.
The contents of the reports require further enquiries, he
The issue of the so called `Love Jihad` had also been
raised in the Karnataka High Court which on October 26 had
directed the state and the Kerala police to jointly probe the
matter and submit a report by November 13.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?