No evidence about `Love Jihad`: Kerala DGP to HC
Kochi: Kerala Police on Wednesday told the High
Court that no conclusive evidence had been received about
existence of `Love Jihad` movement, where young non-Muslim
girls are allegedly trapped into marriage and converted into
In a statement filed in the court, Director General of
Police Jacob Punnose said he could not come to "a definite all
conclusive finding" due to divergence in contents of reports
from SPs of different districts and subordinate officers on
the organised work of the `Love Jihad` in the state.
The DGP also submitted 18 reports of SPs in a sealed
cover to the court, complying with its October 26 directive.
The court had expressed dissatisfaction with the DGP`s
earlier statement, saying some of his answers were `vague` and
statements did not `reconcile` with each other. It had
directed him to produce by today in a sealed cover the reports
based on which he made his statements on the `Love Jihad`.
The DGP, in a statement on Oct 22, had told the court
there were reasons to suspect `concentrated attempts` to
persuade non-Muslim girls to convert to Islam after they fall
in love with Muslim boys, but no organisation called `Love
Jihad` had been identified so far in the state.
Punnose in his statement today said he had received some
information from some units based on "source inputs" which
suggested `clandestine design` of certain groups aimed at
religious conversion through "deceitful means".
He said the contents of three reports lacked supportive
evidence and were often based on hearsay. No cogent material
was available in the three reports to make an unambigious
statement on the truth of allegations of forced conversions.
The contents of the reports require further enquiries, he
The issue of the so called `Love Jihad` had also been
raised in the Karnataka High Court which on October 26 had
directed the state and the Kerala police to jointly probe the
matter and submit a report by November 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed