No need for more probe against Kurien: Experts tell Kerala govt
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has received legal opinion that there was no need to order a re-investigation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
The victim in the case was only repeating the charge which she earlier raised and there was nothing in her new revelation that warranted a re-investigation against Kurien, the legal opinion report submitted by the State Public Prosecutor said, official sources said.
There was no new material available that required a re-probe and the victim had only repeated her old complaint, the report said.
Kerala government had sought legal opinion in the wake of the victim sticking to her charge that Kurien was one among those who molested here at the Kumali guest house in 1996.
The government had also stated that they would take a final decision on the matter after getting legal opinion.
CPI-M led LDF Opposition had demanded a re-investigation into the alleged involvement of Kurien in the case in the wake of the victim`s new disclosure after the Supreme Court verdict last week.
Kurien has all along rejected the charge and opposition`s demand for his resignation, saying it was a matter which had already been cleared by the Supreme Court.
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district was abducted in January 1996 and transported from place to place across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
The victim had sent a letter to the Supreme Court last week, seeking a review of the apex court`s order quashing all charges against Kurien.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened