No question of implementing Kasturirangan report in haste: Chandy
Kozhikode: With the Centre`s decision to implement key suggestions of the Kasturirangan panel on Western Ghats conservation triggering protests in the state, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday said there was no question of implementing it in haste.
"There is no question of government implementing it in a haste. No one will be evicted or prevented from pursuing their means of livelihood," he said at the inauguration of the District `Chief Minister`s mass Contact programme` here.
Apparently referring to the violence that erupted in various parts of the district over the notification, he said the present notification should not be taken as the final word on the issue. "It is only a `draft` and there is four months time to give suggestions on the report," he said.
As per the report, 123 villages in various districts have been identified as ecologically sensitive areas, he said, adding "many of us may have differences over villages that have identified under the ecologically sensitive category."
Noting that environment protection was required for all, he said it should be done without affecting people`s lives.
Chandy said work on the `Japan drinking water project` being implemented in Kozhikode, was progressing fast and expected to be completed at the earliest.
He said everyone had the right to protest but it should not be through violent means.
The Centre`s decision to implement salient recommendations of the Kasturirangan panel on conservation of Western Ghats has sparked protests across Kerala, which has thousands of people living on the slopes of the biodiversity hot spot.
A police vehicle was yesterday torched and government offices targeted in upland areas of Kozhikode district as violence marred protests by local resistance groups against Centre`s decision.
Ruling Congress-led UDF and opposition LDF have voiced concern over the `unilateral` decision to implement the key recommendations of the panel even as the Centre clarified that the direction it issued was not final.
Police are maintaining tight vigil following the protests and a demonstration today by the LDF demanding the resignation of Chandy over the solar scam.
Police have blocked the rally by the LDF to block entry points on two main roads, police said.
Some 2,100 police personnel have been deployed for security purpose in and around the venue and in the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark