No transparency in selecting Congress leadership in Kerala: Karunakaran
Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran Congress leader K Karunakaran Saturday alleged that there was no transparency in the process of electing a new party leadership in the state.
Speaking to reporters at his residence here, Karunakaran said claims of consensus by the present leadership led by state party president Ramesh Chennithala and leader of the opposition Oommen Chandy were "humbug".
"In no way will I accept the present scheme of things being charted out because it is all humbug. They have come and met me two or three times... I will not accept the new leadership because it is (picked) against the principles of the party," the former chief minister said.
Finalising the various positions in the party from the grassroots level to the state party president`s post has become a troublesome process with different factions vying with each other for a larger share.
The last time a new party leadership was elected through balloting was in the early 1990s when Vayalar Ravi, Karunakaran`s nominee, beat A K Antony to the post of state party chief.
"I have written to the Congress president a few times and once again I will bring to her attention the lack of transparency being followed... No one should try to push me down and I will not give up my fight because some people are trying to hijack the party," said Karunakaran.
Karunakaran and his son K Muraleedharan walked out of the Congress in 2005 and formed the Democratic Indira Congress-Karunakaran. He returned to the Congress in December 2007.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble