No US trip for CPI-M legislator
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI-M has barred one of its legislators from travelling to the US next month to attend the International Visitor`s Leadership Programme organised by the State Department - as it is funded by the US government.
The programme is being held in a few locations in the US Aug 4-24.
"Rajesh was told by his party that it does not augur well if he goes because the entire trip is being funded by the US government... So he decided not to go," said two-time CPI-M supported independent MLA KT Jaleel who along with party legislator TV Rajesh was selected by the assembly speaker for the trip.
Even though none in the CPI-M told me not to go, I felt, since I am indirectly associated with them, I will also not go," added Jaleel.
The assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan had selected nine legislators for the trip after getting a letter from the State Department.
Apart from TV Rajesh, KT Jaleel, ES Bijimol (all from the Left-led opposition) he selected PC Vishnunath, Shafi Parambil, Anwar Saddat, IC Balakrishnan, N Shamsudeen and Mons Joseph, all from the Congress-led ruling front.
However, CPI has allowed its MLA ES Bijimol to go on the trip.
With Rajesh and Jaleel backing out, KM Shaji and VT Balram, both from the ruling front, got the opportunity to travel to the US.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what