Noisy scenes in Kerala Assembly over TN`s claim on dams
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Assembly on Wednesday witnessed noisy scenes over the claim staked by Tamil Nadu on four dams, including Mullaperiyar, which are located within the state.
The issue, raised by Jameela Prakasham (JD-S) during question hour, came as an embarrassment to the UDF government which admitted that Tamil Nadu`s claim over the dams made at a meeting of National Committee on Dam Safety (NCDS) did not come to its notice.
In his response, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said he would examine the issue in detail and furnish a reply in the House tomorrow.
Prakasham said Tamil Nadu officials virtually staked claim over the ownership of Mullaperiyar, Thunacadavu, Peruvaripallam and Parmabikkulam dams at a meeting of the NCDS held on December 27 last year. The Kerala official present at the meeting had failed to object to the neighbouring state`s claim over these dams located within Kerala, she said.
As a result, the meeting accepted Tamil Nadu`s request for incorporating the word "owned" in the national register of large dams, Prakasam said.
She also said last month, on a request by Kerala`s Dam Safety Authority, Tamil Nadu government informed the state that Parambikulam Aliyar Project (PAP) group of reservoirs, particularly Parambikulam, Thunacadavu and Peruvaripallam dams, were "owned, operated and maintained" by Tamil Nadu and "there is no need for the Kerala Dam Safety Authority to inspect these dams at any point of time."
Opposition members rose in protest holding that the Government failed to protect the state`s interests after Water Resources Minister P J Joseph said this development had not come to government`s notice.
The opposition LDF members then moved to the well of the House demanding a clear explanation from the government on the matter.
At this juncture, the Chief Minister intervened to ease the situation and promised that the issue would be looked into with all seriousness and the House will be informed of the details tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal