Not attacking judiciary, but corrupt judges: Sudhakaran
Kannur: Congress MP K Sudhakaran, who is facing heat following his remarks that he witnessed an apex court judge taking a bribe, Thursday said he was not attacking the judiciary but corrupt judges.
"In my speech last week, I never ever uttered a word against the judiciary, but I mentioned that I was witness to a bribe being accepted by an apex court judge. I said that there are some judges who are corrupt. That speech of mine has been taken advantage of by a section and a case has also been registered by police of (Kerala) Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan," Sudhakaran told reporters here.
Sudhakaran`s statement has come in for sharp criticism from the state`s ruling Communist party of India-Marxist, and even his own Congress party.
However, Sudhakaran said he has apologised to party leaders and was ready to face the consequences.
"I have written an apology letter to the prime minister, (Congress president) Sonia Gandhi and state Congress party chief (Ramesh Chennithala), and I take full responsibility for my speech and my party has no responsibility for it, and I will face all the consequence myself," he said.
Sudhakaran`s statement came at a political meeting in Kottarakara Saturday to express solidarity with party leader R Balakrishnan Pillai who was last week sentenced to a year`s imprisonment by the apex court in a corruption case.
"I was a witness when an apex court judge was handed over Rs 3.6 million in two instalments at the Kerala House in Delhi, by representatives of bar hotel owners from Kerala and they got a favourable verdict," Sudhakaran had said, adding it happened during the tenure of Chief Minister K Karunakaran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly