Notice to Kerala Police on harassment of Muslims
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notice to the Kerala police chief on a complaint that Muslim families are being harassed, an official said Tuesday.
NHRC has asked for a report within two weeks in connection with a complaint alleging that the police, in the guise of investigating an attack on T.J. Joseph, a professor of Newman`s College, are harassing some Muslim families.
Joseph was attacked and had his right hand chopped off for allegedly preparing a question paper with derogatory references to Prophet Mohammad.
Members of Muslim families are being harassed by frequent searches and seizure of various items from their houses, the NHRC said.
N.M. Siddhiq, president of the National Confederation of Human Rights Organisations, has lodged a complaint with the NHRC in this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted