Notice to Kerala Police on harassment of Muslims
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notice to the Kerala police chief on a complaint that Muslim families are being harassed, an official said Tuesday.
NHRC has asked for a report within two weeks in connection with a complaint alleging that the police, in the guise of investigating an attack on T.J. Joseph, a professor of Newman`s College, are harassing some Muslim families.
Joseph was attacked and had his right hand chopped off for allegedly preparing a question paper with derogatory references to Prophet Mohammad.
Members of Muslim families are being harassed by frequent searches and seizure of various items from their houses, the NHRC said.
N.M. Siddhiq, president of the National Confederation of Human Rights Organisations, has lodged a complaint with the NHRC in this matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory