Notice to Kerala Police on harassment of Muslims
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notice to the Kerala police chief on a complaint that Muslim families are being harassed, an official said Tuesday.
NHRC has asked for a report within two weeks in connection with a complaint alleging that the police, in the guise of investigating an attack on T.J. Joseph, a professor of Newman`s College, are harassing some Muslim families.
Joseph was attacked and had his right hand chopped off for allegedly preparing a question paper with derogatory references to Prophet Mohammad.
Members of Muslim families are being harassed by frequent searches and seizure of various items from their houses, the NHRC said.
N.M. Siddhiq, president of the National Confederation of Human Rights Organisations, has lodged a complaint with the NHRC in this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report