NSS president Narayana Panicker passes away
Kottayam: PK Narayana Panicker, president of
Nair Service Society and a dominant public figure in Kerala for the last several decades, passes away at his residence at Changanassery near here on Wednesday, NSS sources said.
He was 82 and had been keeping indifferent health for
quite some time, sources said.
Panicker, who headed the powerful community organisation
with grassroot level network and educational institutions
all through the state, headed NSS for nearly three decades
after he took over as General Secretary in 1983.
Last year, he stepped down as general secretary of NSS and
became its president.
A lawyer by profession, Panicker had spearheaded several
legal battles and public campaigns for income-based
reservations in jobs and admissions in place of
community-based quota system.
Panicker also headed the now defunct political wing of the
NSS, National Democratic Party. The party was a partner in the
UDF before it was disbanded in the 1990s.
Leaders from all political parties and community
organisations said Kerala had lost an eminent public figure at
the death of Panicker.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official