Nurses funeral held with full state honours
Kottayam (Ker): The funerals of P K Vineetha
and Remya Rajappan, nurses from Kottayam district who were
among those killed in the fire accident at AMRI hospital in
Kolkata on Friday, were held with full state honours on Monday.
While Vineetha`s funeral was held at the St. Mary`s Parel
Church at Kothanellore, Remya`s funeral was conducted at the
courtyard of her house in Uzhavoor. The bodies were brought in
a special ambulance to their homes in Kothnellore and Uzhavoor
in the district last night.
The devastating fire, which took place on December 9,
claimed the lives of 93 persons.
Without caring for their own safety, Remya (24) and
Vineetha (23) had pulled out eight of the nine patients in the
smoke-filled female ward, and when they had gone up to save
the ninth patient, who had suffered a fracture, succumbed to
the smoke and heat.
Shops and business establishments in Kothanellore and
Uzhavoor were closed this afternoon as a mark of respect.
Condolence meetings were held at the both places.
Vineetha of Pullickal house in Kothanellore had gone
to Kolkata on couple of months ago after completing nursing
course from Hyderabad. She is survived by her ailing mother
and her father, a casual labourer.
Remya of Mecheril house, Uzhavoor had joined the hospital
about eight months ago. She is survived by her parents and her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29