Ommen Chandy inducts 13 new ministers
Thiruvananthapuram: The newly-elected
members of the Kerala Assembly will take oath on June 1 while
election of the new Speaker and the Deputy Speaker will be
held on June 2, Chief Minister Ommen Chandy said on Monday.
Addressing a press conference after a cabinet meeting
following the swearing-in of 13 new ministers, Chandy said the
cabinet decided to recommend to Governor RS Gavai to convene
a short session of the 13th Kerala Assembly on June 1 and 2.
It was also decided to recommend the name of senior
Congress legislator N Sakatan Nadar to be appointed as pro-tem
Referring to other cabinet decisions, Chandy said the
period of rank list of Kerala Public Service Commission which
would end on May 31 would be extended by another six months
following complaints that appointments could not be made
in view of the poll code in force.
The Cabinet discussed matters connected with the
proposal to supply rice at Rs one per kg to BPL groups. The
scheme would be implemented in association with the Centre and
to work out modalities, a meeting would be held with Union
Food Minister K V Thomas on June 4, he said.
"Government wanted to present to the people of Kerala
the scheme as a gift during the coming Onam Festival season,"
A meeting to discuss the legal and other issues
connected with the operation of other state lotteries and
steps to check the `exploitation` by the other state lottery
operators would be held with authorities concerned soon, he
Problems faced by people whose land had been acquired
for the Vallarpadam Container Terminal Project at Moolampalli
in Kochi would be discussed, he said.
Though the project had already been implemented,
issues connected with land acquisition had not been settled.
The rehabilitation of those who lost land would be taken up,
The Cabinet decided to appoint senior lawyer KP
Dandapani as the new Advocate General, Chandy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department