One dies, several policemen hurt in widespread violence
Kasaragod (Ker): One person was killed on Sunday
when police opened fire to disperse a group of violent Indian
Union Muslim League activists after they attacked a police
party, injuring at least 30 of them.
Police said they resorted to firing after the workers
engaged in widespread violence, pelting stones and damaging a
The IUML workers, who had gathered to accord a reception
to party state leaders and former ministers P K Kunhalikutty
and M K Muneer, vented their ire on the police party as it
tried to clear the traffic snarl caused by a "bike rally" by
party activists on the sidelines of the function.
The IUML workers confronted the police team after they
tried to clear the traffic snarl.
Additional forces from neighbouring Kannur district are
being rushed to the spot, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued