Only schools recommended by expert panel can start plus two courses: Kerala HC

Last Updated: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 15:59

Kochi: In a blow to the state government, the Kerala High Court on Monday said only schools recommended by a six-member committee, with the approval of Higher Secondary Education Director, can start `plus two` courses and additional batches this year.

Admitting 85 petitions challenging the government order sanctioning plus two schools and 411 additional batches, Justice PR Ramachandran Menon said only those schools which have infrastructure facilities suggested by the government order shall be permitted to function.

The court found that the evaluation for sanctioning of schools was not on the basis of merit.
Even though Advocate General KP Dandapani had informed the court that opinion of all MLAs were sought, the court said "from the files it was not clear as to who suggested educational need when and where."

The order was issued by the court after perusing all files on grant of plus two schools and additional batches.

The court had earlier expressed displeasure at the government`s attitude failing to produce files relating to sanctioning of plus two schools and additional batches this academic year. It had also wanted to know why government schools were denied plus two courses.

The AG had justified the government order pointing out that it was issued legally and the cabinet sub-committee considered the opinion of all MLAs on educational needs in their constituencies.
Muslim Education Society and others had approached the court stating that the plus two courses were not sanctioned based on the educational need and on the basis of recommendations of an expert committee.

PTI

First Published: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 15:59

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus