Oommen Chandy enters 42nd year as legislator
Thiruvananthapuram: It was this day 42 years ago that Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was sworn in as a legislator for the first time. Since then, he has won nine successive elections, all from the Puthupally constituency in Kottayam.
In all, he has won 10 Assembly Elections. His record is bettered only by his Finance Minister KM Mani who has an uninterrupted victory run from 1967 on.
Incidentally, Chandy was only 26 when he won from his home constituency of Puthupally. He now knows voters by name, and the constituency is as familiar to him as the back of his hand.
Chandy has, in his years in politics, held several political posts: from being a minister in the K Karunakaran cabinet in 1977, to holding important portfolios like home, finance and leader of opposition, besides being chief minister on two occasions.
There is one position, though, that Chandy has never held - he has not been state Congress president.
On the day that marked the anniversary of his entry into the legislature, Chandy was busy chairing the weekly cabinet meeting, which would be followed by an all-party meeting to discuss waste management.
From the time Chandy entered the state legislature in 1970, three others continue be legislators - Finance Minister KM Mani, cabinet colleague PJ Joseph and Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan.
Come October 31, Chandy turns 69.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof