Oommen Chandy thanks Sushma Swaraj for bringing back nurses from war-torn Iraq
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Monday thanked External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for her efforts to bring back 46 nurses from conflict zones in Iraq.
"I wish to convey our appreciation and sincere thanks to you personally and the External Affairs Ministry and also the Ambassador and Indian Embassy in Iraq for the sincere and dedicated efforts to bring back the 46 nurses from Iraq," Chandy said in a letter to Swaraj.
While expressing anxiety about the remaining Indians in strife-torn Iraq, Chandy said many of the remaining nurses wanted to return to Kerala, but their passports were forcefully taken away by the sponsors.
In some other cases, the sponsors were not allowing them to return to India. Since the bond period was not yet over, the sponsors were demanding compensation for the termination of bond period, he said.
He wanted urgent steps on the part of Indian Embassy in Iraq to secure their release and bring them back.
On the return of 46 nurses back home, he said for nearly a fortnight, the state was passing through very painful moments and was very anxious about their safety.
"They all reached safely on July 5 and their parents and the people of Kerala are very relieved to have all of them back home safely," Chandy added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why