Oommen Chandy`s mass contact programme begins amid tight security
Malappuram: Amid tight security, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s ongoing state-wide mass contact programme, marred by an attack on him by opposition CPI(M) led activists on October 27 in Kannur, resumed in the district on Monday.
Chandy, whose security cover has been upgraded to `Z` category in the aftermath of the stone pelting by LDF, in which he was injured, defended the programme, saying its objective was to extend to the people all their rightful needs without delays of red tapism.
Nearly 2000 policemen, including armed personnel attached to the Thunderbolt team, set up to deal with Maoist threat, were deployed in and around SSP Ground, venue of the programme.
Inaugurating the programme, Chandy refuted LDF criticism it was meant only to distribute certain financial aid from the CM`s Relief Fund and said the objective was to extend to the people all their rightful needs without delays of red tapism.
"Due to certain restrictions in law, many things cannot be implemented. The Jana Samparka Paripadi will help bring such matters to the attention of officials and these can be resolved," he said.
Chandy pointed out that as many as 45 Government Orders were issued in the first phase of JSP after UDF came to power in May 2011, to make chages in rules as per the petitions and complaints received at the programme.
More than 10,000 petitions have been received so far in the district, the most populous in the state.A large number of people have reached the venue to meet Chandy.
State Ministers P K Kunhalikutty, Aryadan Muhammad, A P Anilkumar, V S Sivakumar and Manjalamkuzhi Ali, elected representatives, officials and others are also present at the spot.
Meanwhile, LDF protest march here as part of their stir demanding Chandy`s resignation over the solar panel scam issue, was stopped by police. LDF had already announced its decision to boycott the event and take out a black flag protest march.
Over the last few months, LDF has been staging protests wherever Chandy tours as part of its campaign demanding his resignation over the scam.
They have been pressing for Chandy`s resignation in the backdrop of the scam, pertaining to financial cheating of several people by promoters of a private firm offering them solar energy solutions.
LDF has been alleging that the fraudsters had the support of Chandy and his office. Though government had ordered a judicial probe, LDF have refused to give up their demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves