‘Open the temple vault and face death’
Thiruvananthapuram: A group of priests who conducted an astrological examination or `devaprasnam` at the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple here has concluded that family members of those who open its yet untouched vault B would die, said an expert Thursday. They also warned against videography of the treasure discovered so far.
Lead priest K Padmanabha Sharma said that no videography of the temple`s unearthed treasure trove should take place.
"Of the treasure troves that are in the temple, vault B should not be opened and of the remaining five vaults, there should be no valuation done, besides there should be no exhibition of the treasure that has been found," said Sharma.
The temple, among the richest in the world, has six vaults. Five of these were opened on the orders of the Supreme Court and a treasure trove estimated to be more than Rs 1 lakh crore was discovered.
Vault B was not touched by a committee that was appointed by the court for stock taking of the temple`s treasures last month.
The astrological examination that began at the temple Monday involved discussions among the members of the team headed by Mathur Narayanan Renga Bhatt, an expert in conducting rituals.
The discussions, held in the open, concluded that it would be best that vault B was left unopened because it was believed that it could only be opened by "God".
The experts concluded that if anyone opened the vault, one of his family members may die either due to a snake bite or consumption of poison.
Stocktaking of the temple`s treasure started after TP Sunderarajan, a former Indian Police Service officer, approached the apex court alleging mismanagement of temple affairs.
Sunderarajan, 70, died July 17.
The erstwhile royal family of Travancore oversees the functioning of this prestigious temple, through an executive committee.
Aditya Varma, scion of the erstwhile royal family, earlier said that the discussion and astrological examination related to vault B was done after receiving numerous letters from devotees and also from various Hindu organisations.
According to the records of the temple, on the main door of vault B a picture of a snake is etched and it signifies danger.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy also reached the temple premises and remarked that the wealth of the temple was not just an asset alone but also related to faith.
"We all expect that the apex court, when it comes to deciding the opening of vault B, will take into consideration the feelings of the devotees," said Chandy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!