Opposition stages walk-out in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Opposition Left Democratic
Front (LDF) staged a walk-out from Kerala Assembly on Monday,
accusing the United Democratic Front (UDF) government of
dragging its feet on the issue of use of mobile phone by
jailed former minister and Kerala Congress (B) leader R
Balakrishna Pillai and the slow probe in the attack on a
teacher working in a school owned by Pillai.
Leading his colleagues on the way out, CPI(M) stalwart V
S Achuthanandan said it was quite strange that not a single
person had been arrested and charged even six days after the
teacher was attacked.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy however said that the pace
of investigation was slow because of inconsistent and
contradictory statements given to the police by the
On the matter of mobile phone use by Pillai while in
prison, he said the issue was being looked into by a prison
official and if it was true, it was indeed a violation of
Chandy also made it clear that he had neither phoned
Pillai nor received any call from him.
Alluding to a television channel reporter calling Pillai
on a mobile phone and the conversation being aired, Chandy
said that calling a convict was also a punishable violation of
Communist Party of India (Marxist) Deputy Leader and
former home minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, however said that
use of mobile phone by Pillai was not just a breach of prison
rules but also violation of the Prison Act, which bars
convicts from sending or receiving messages through mobile
phones or any other electronic equipment.
Pillai, who has been sentenced to one year imprisonment
in a corruption case, landed in fresh trouble last week after
a TV channel aired his telephonic talk with a reporter
discussing the attack on the male teacher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical