Opposition stages walk-out in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Opposition Left Democratic
Front (LDF) staged a walk-out from Kerala Assembly on Monday,
accusing the United Democratic Front (UDF) government of
dragging its feet on the issue of use of mobile phone by
jailed former minister and Kerala Congress (B) leader R
Balakrishna Pillai and the slow probe in the attack on a
teacher working in a school owned by Pillai.
Leading his colleagues on the way out, CPI(M) stalwart V
S Achuthanandan said it was quite strange that not a single
person had been arrested and charged even six days after the
teacher was attacked.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy however said that the pace
of investigation was slow because of inconsistent and
contradictory statements given to the police by the
On the matter of mobile phone use by Pillai while in
prison, he said the issue was being looked into by a prison
official and if it was true, it was indeed a violation of
Chandy also made it clear that he had neither phoned
Pillai nor received any call from him.
Alluding to a television channel reporter calling Pillai
on a mobile phone and the conversation being aired, Chandy
said that calling a convict was also a punishable violation of
Communist Party of India (Marxist) Deputy Leader and
former home minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, however said that
use of mobile phone by Pillai was not just a breach of prison
rules but also violation of the Prison Act, which bars
convicts from sending or receiving messages through mobile
phones or any other electronic equipment.
Pillai, who has been sentenced to one year imprisonment
in a corruption case, landed in fresh trouble last week after
a TV channel aired his telephonic talk with a reporter
discussing the attack on the male teacher.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3