Opposition walkout over price rise of food items
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M) led LDF
opposition in Kerala on Thursday trooped out of the House to protest
against alleged failure of the government to check price rise
of essential commodities, life saving drugs and fertilizers in
Opposition alleged that UPA government`s wrong economic
policy was responsible for price rise of food items in the
country and Kerala government`s ineptitude handling of the
situation had worsened the probem in the state.
Rejecting opposition allegation while replying to a notice
for an adjournment motion on the issue, Chief Minister Oommen
Chandy said price rise of essential commodities was very
nominal when compared to prices last year this time.
However, Chandy admitted that price of some of the live
saving drugs was exhorbitant in open market and "government is
determined to stop this explotiation by drug manufactures".
Citing an example, he said a medicine for cancer patient
being supplied through Regional Cancer Centre for Rs 700 was
sold in open market for more than Rs 10,500.
Government has convened a meeting of drug manufactures and
other concerned people to discuss the issue here on October
20, he said.
Functioning of Medical Service Corporation would be
strengthened, he added.
With regard to fertilizers, Chandy admitted that prices had
gone up recently. However, he said state government had taken
steps to provide subsidy to farmers for fertilizers.
Seeking leave for the motion, V S Sunil Kumar (CPI), said
government failed to control drug markets.
There was an increase of Rs.600 in the family budget due to
food inflation and hike in tarrif of water and power in the
past three months, he added.
Before walkout, CPI-M deputy leader in the House Kodiyeri
Balakrishnan said frequent hike in the price of petroleum
products was reason for the inflation and wanted the state to
ask Centre to take steps to regulate the prices of petroleum
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception