Orthodox faction blames UDF Govt on church issue
Kottayam: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church said
they have serious differences with UDF government over the way
in which the church property dispute with the Jacobite faction
was handled, but said it would not issue any directive in this
regard to members in the Piravom assembly constituency bypoll.
Members have the right to democratically react to express
their sentiments in the bypoll, Malankara Metopolitan Baselius
Mar Thoma Paulose II told reporters here.
He said the church has serious diffrences over the way the
conflict over church property with Jacobite Syrian Christian
church was handled by the government, denying justice to the
He alleged the government was not showing any interest in
finding a solution to the issue though Orthodox church which
has a favourable court directive, had agreed to provide the
Jacobites Rs 2.5 crore to construct a new church and the right
to use the cemetery at St.Peter`s and St.Paul`s church.
"We will continue to protest in a democratic and bloodless
way", he said.
Piravom seat fell vacant following the recent death of
Kerala Congress (Jacob) leader and Civil Supplies minister T M
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma