Padmanabhaswamy Temple treasure: Panel resumes work
Thiruvananthapuram: The Supreme Court appointed Experts Committee for scientifically documenting priceless treasures of the famous Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple has resumed its work by opening another underground vault.
According to temple sources, the committee members yesterday examined "Vault-A" and documented few gold chains, some gem-studded, with the help of sophisticated equipment, a few imported from Europe.
The panel, headed by eminent conservationist M V Nair, had drawn up a list of experts experienced in assessing the value and antiquity of gold and precious stones, to be engaged in the process.
The members of the oversight committee, tasked last year with inventorying the priceless treasures, were also present.
The oversight committee, also set up by the Apex Court, had opened four of the six vaults of the temple last year and found them holding a glittering array of precious wealth, drawing worldwide attention to the temple and its history.
Though the panel was not mandated to quantify the value of the treasure in money terms, it has been widely speculated that it was more than Rs one lakh crore, even by modest estimates.
Experts and historians, however, have cautioned against quantifying the value of such a rare and antique wealth without considering their cultural and heritage value.
The sprawling temple, an architectural splendour in granite, was rebuilt in its present form in the 18th century by the Travancore Royal House, which ruled southern Kerala and some adjoining parts of Tamil Nadu before the integration of the princely state into the Indian Union in 1947.
Even after independence, the temple continued to be governed by a trust controlled by the erstwhile royal family, to whom Lord Padmanabha (Vishnu in reclining posture) is their family deity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another