Parlour sex case: Govt withdraws revision petition
Kochi: Kerala Government Wednesday withdrew its revision petition filed against a lower court order, directing the prosecution to give copies of documents and statements to Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan in the case relating to attempts to `sabotage` the Ice Cream Parlour sex case.
On earlier occasions, the government had always sought adjournments.
Justice V K Mohanan, before whom the petition came up today, permitted the government to withdraw it. The court also allowed the AG`s plea to reserve their right to file the application again.
During the earlier hearing,the court had orally asked the government why it was shying away from giving documents to Achuthanandan while the accused in the case had not opposed the move.
Justice V K Mohanan in his Jan 22 order said the court is expected to show transparency and fairness in proceedings, whether it is state, corporate entity or private individual and had posted the case for today.
The court had then asked the government why it had filed an appeal when it was really a case between K A Rauf, the estranged relative of Industries minister P K Kunhalikutty and Achuthanandan.
The case had been registered on the basis of alleged disclosures by Rauf at a press meet in Kozhikode on Jan 28, 2011 that Kunhalikutty had asked several key witnesses in the case to turn hostile and had offered them pecuniary benefits.
The scandal pertains to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode district was used as a cover for running a sex racket in the late 1990s. Though Kunhalikutty never became an accused in the case, he had come under a cloud in the wake of the scandal and even had to quit the ministry then.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees