Parties welcome order on Aranmula project in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling Congress, opposition LDF and BJP today welcomed the National Green Tribunal order quashing the environmental clearance given to the controversial private Aranmula airport at Pathanamthitta district in Kerala.
Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee in a statement said that the tribunal`s order was a `warning` to those who flout rules to carry on with projects.
The order also points out to the need for a thorough transparent environmental impact study for any project before giving in-principle sanction, KPCC said.
The statement assumes significance as the Congress-led UDF government had decided to go ahead with the project sanctioned during the previous LDF rule, even by taking 10 per cent stake in the project.
KPCC President V M Sudheeran had opposed the project from the very start and had even extended support to the Aranmula Heritage Protection Committee, spearheading an agitation against the project at Aranmula, initiated by Chennai based KGS group, holding that the airport would destroy the environment.
Welcoming the verdict, Opposition leader and former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan claimed that the tribunal order was a `setback` to the UDF government.
Though the previous LDF government had given sanction for the project, it changed its stand towards the airport after the UDF Government came to power.
BJP state President V Muraleedharan said the verdict was a clear message to land encroachers and government that supports them.
Noted poet and environmental activist Suguthakumari, who was in the forefront of anti-Aranmula airport project, said the verdict was a victory for the people for their agitation.
"I am greatful to the judiciary for protecting the environment," she added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city