Parties welcome order on Aranmula project in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling Congress, opposition LDF and BJP today welcomed the National Green Tribunal order quashing the environmental clearance given to the controversial private Aranmula airport at Pathanamthitta district in Kerala.
Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee in a statement said that the tribunal`s order was a `warning` to those who flout rules to carry on with projects.
The order also points out to the need for a thorough transparent environmental impact study for any project before giving in-principle sanction, KPCC said.
The statement assumes significance as the Congress-led UDF government had decided to go ahead with the project sanctioned during the previous LDF rule, even by taking 10 per cent stake in the project.
KPCC President V M Sudheeran had opposed the project from the very start and had even extended support to the Aranmula Heritage Protection Committee, spearheading an agitation against the project at Aranmula, initiated by Chennai based KGS group, holding that the airport would destroy the environment.
Welcoming the verdict, Opposition leader and former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan claimed that the tribunal order was a `setback` to the UDF government.
Though the previous LDF government had given sanction for the project, it changed its stand towards the airport after the UDF Government came to power.
BJP state President V Muraleedharan said the verdict was a clear message to land encroachers and government that supports them.
Noted poet and environmental activist Suguthakumari, who was in the forefront of anti-Aranmula airport project, said the verdict was a victory for the people for their agitation.
"I am greatful to the judiciary for protecting the environment," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report