Parties welcome order on Aranmula project in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling Congress, opposition LDF and BJP today welcomed the National Green Tribunal order quashing the environmental clearance given to the controversial private Aranmula airport at Pathanamthitta district in Kerala.
Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee in a statement said that the tribunal`s order was a `warning` to those who flout rules to carry on with projects.
The order also points out to the need for a thorough transparent environmental impact study for any project before giving in-principle sanction, KPCC said.
The statement assumes significance as the Congress-led UDF government had decided to go ahead with the project sanctioned during the previous LDF rule, even by taking 10 per cent stake in the project.
KPCC President V M Sudheeran had opposed the project from the very start and had even extended support to the Aranmula Heritage Protection Committee, spearheading an agitation against the project at Aranmula, initiated by Chennai based KGS group, holding that the airport would destroy the environment.
Welcoming the verdict, Opposition leader and former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan claimed that the tribunal order was a `setback` to the UDF government.
Though the previous LDF government had given sanction for the project, it changed its stand towards the airport after the UDF Government came to power.
BJP state President V Muraleedharan said the verdict was a clear message to land encroachers and government that supports them.
Noted poet and environmental activist Suguthakumari, who was in the forefront of anti-Aranmula airport project, said the verdict was a victory for the people for their agitation.
"I am greatful to the judiciary for protecting the environment," she added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone