Passport officer in Malappuram under CBI scanner
Thiruvananthapuram: The CBI has initiated a probe against K Abdul Rasheed, Regional Passport Officer of Malappuram in Kerala, for alleged irregularities in issuing passports.
CBI sources said steps had been taken to freeze Rasheed`s bank accounts as a prelude to the probe against him in the irregularities in issue of passports, which allegedly aided illegal human trafficking from the area.
The agency would also find out the circumstances under which Rasheed, a Deputy Superintendent in Kerala Police, was posted as the passport officer.
The CBI team had conducted searches at the office and residence of Rasheed last week and seized some documents and Rs 2.5 lakh in cash.
The searches were also held in the wake of allegations that Rasheed got illegal gratification from passport applicants and agents to process applications without adhering to mandatory procedures.
A total 137 passport cases have been registered so far, sources said.
Rasheed was appointed as Regional Passport Officer after the UDF government came to power.
CPI-M veteran and Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan recently alleged irregularities in appointment of Rasheed as passport officer, who had about 10 years back served as gunman of Industries Minister and IUML leader P K Kunhalikutty, before getting promoted to higher ranks in the police.
Achuthanandan had sought a probe into the charge of irregularities in issuing passport from the Malappuram Regional Passport Office and alleged that Rasheed had suspected links with human trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened