Pastoral letter against Prof TJ Joseph read out in 120 churches
Kochi: A Pastoral letter condemning the
`irresponsible action` of Prof TJ Joseph, for preparing a
question paper hurting the religious sentiments of a
community, was today read out during the Sunday mass in 120
parish churches under the Kothamangalam Dioceses in Ernakulam
Coming out against the lecturer, whose is recovering after
a brutal attack on him by radical outfit, Popular Front of
India (PFI), which hacked his right arm, the Kothamanagalm
dioceses bishop, George Punnakottil, said the attack does not
nullify the `crime` committed by Joseph. Such an
`irresponsible` act cannot be expected from the lecturer.
The college was accused of being an accomplice in hurting
the religious feelings of the Muslim community. So the
management had to take a decision to distance itself from the
act of the lecturer, it said.
The pastoral letter also supported the management of the
Newman College for sacking him.
Despite his repeated pleas for pardon, the
management has been adamant with regard to its stand.
The Bishop said the aggrieved lecturer can approach the
court to redress his grievance and the management would abide
by the decision.
As controversy broke regarding the question paper, Joseph
was suspended by the management.
The lecturer has decided to approach the university
appellate tribunal for his re-instatement as his pleas to the
college management to reconsider its decision, has fallen into
“We have no other choice,” Stella, his sister, who is a nun,
The family is `upset` and `scared` with the letter being
read out in the churches.
Joseph today said he had not done anything wrong to
apologize to the church and accepts favour from it.
"I have not done anything wrong. I am a religious
person and respect all religion. Knowingly I have not hurt
any religious community. Why is the Church asking to me
apologize for a wrong doing I have not done?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"