PC Vishnunath elected Kerala Youth Cong president
Kochi: In a keen battle, P C Vishnunath, MLA, was on Tuesday elected Kerala state president of the youth Congress, defeating former youth congress state chief M Liju.
Vishnunath, a close follower of opposition leader Oommen Chandy, secured 113 more votes than Liju, widely seen as a protege of KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala.
A total of 1375 voters, out of 1710 members from different blocks who form the electoral college, turned up for the election held here, Youth Congress sources said.
As per the organisational election norms set by AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Liju would automatically become the vice-president of the state unit of the youth outfit as the candidate who finished the second.
A former president of the party`s student wing Kerala Students Union, Viswanath represents Chengannur segment in the Kerala assembly. He had resigned as national secretary of the Youth Congress to contest for the state post.
Elections to the posts of general secretaries were also held.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender