PC Vishnunath elected Kerala Youth Cong president
Kochi: In a keen battle, P C Vishnunath, MLA, was on Tuesday elected Kerala state president of the youth Congress, defeating former youth congress state chief M Liju.
Vishnunath, a close follower of opposition leader Oommen Chandy, secured 113 more votes than Liju, widely seen as a protege of KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala.
A total of 1375 voters, out of 1710 members from different blocks who form the electoral college, turned up for the election held here, Youth Congress sources said.
As per the organisational election norms set by AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Liju would automatically become the vice-president of the state unit of the youth outfit as the candidate who finished the second.
A former president of the party`s student wing Kerala Students Union, Viswanath represents Chengannur segment in the Kerala assembly. He had resigned as national secretary of the Youth Congress to contest for the state post.
Elections to the posts of general secretaries were also held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown