Petition of VS’ son against probe dismissed
Kochi: The Kerala High Court Thursday dismissed a petition by former chief minister VS Achuthanandan`s son for an interim order to stop the vigilance probe against him instituted by the state government last week.
The state cabinet ordered a full-fledged vigilance probe against VA Arunkumar in 11 specific cases, which Chief Minister Oomen Chandy as leader of opposition had pointed to in a letter to the then chief minister Achuthanandan a few months back.
The court refused to issue the interim order and sent a notice to the state government to file its views on the issue in a week`s time.
The Chandy government went ahead with the vigilance probe only after withdrawing the case filed in this regard by the Achuthanandan government early this year at the Lokayukta.
Chandy had objected to the Lokayukta probe as some allegations could not be inquired by the ombudsman because it was out of his purview.
The vigilance probe will look into 11 allegations which includes Arunkumar taking a bribe of Rs.seven lakh from the sandalwood mafia in 2004, his role in scuttling a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in the lottery scam, and allegations of corrupt deals when he was the managing director of a state-run organisation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Stephen Constantine names probable squad for Puerto Rico match
- RBI lets banks issue masala bonds, to accept corporate bonds in LAF
- Angry Mehbooba ends press meet with Rajnath abruptly
- Triple treble: How Usain Bolt stormed to another set of gold medals at Rio Olympics – VIDEO
- Two reward-carrying women Naxals arrested; another surrenders