PIL against Thachankery`s reinstatement
Kochi: The Kerala High Court Tuesday
ordered issue of notices to the Central and state governments
on a PIL challenging the UDF government`s decision to revoke
the suspension and reinstate former IGP Tomin J Thachankery,
accused of having links with fundamental outfits.
The government had earlier this month decided to
reinstate Thachankery after his suspension period expired on
The PIL was filed by Boby Kuruvilla of Alapuzha
complaining that cases alleging corruption were pending
against Thachankery in the vigilance court at Thrissur. His
reinstatement could be considered only after the culmination
of proceedings, the petitioner contended.
When the PIL came up before a Division bench of Chief
Justice J Chelemeswar and Justice P R Ramachandran Menon, they
ordered issue of notices to the Centre and state government
The state government opposed the petition saying that
PILs could not be entertained in service matters.
The bench orally observed that the petition was not
challenging Thachankery`s seniority or continuance in service,
but was against the government decision to reinstate him.
Thachankery had been suspended by the previous LDF
government on the charge of undertaking a foreign trip without
its consent. Allegations that he had gone abroad to meet
activists of fundamental outfits were also levelled.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is probing a
case in this regard.
A case for amassing wealth disproportionate to his
known sources of income is also pending against Thachankery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY