PIL against Thachankery`s reinstatement
Kochi: The Kerala High Court Tuesday
ordered issue of notices to the Central and state governments
on a PIL challenging the UDF government`s decision to revoke
the suspension and reinstate former IGP Tomin J Thachankery,
accused of having links with fundamental outfits.
The government had earlier this month decided to
reinstate Thachankery after his suspension period expired on
The PIL was filed by Boby Kuruvilla of Alapuzha
complaining that cases alleging corruption were pending
against Thachankery in the vigilance court at Thrissur. His
reinstatement could be considered only after the culmination
of proceedings, the petitioner contended.
When the PIL came up before a Division bench of Chief
Justice J Chelemeswar and Justice P R Ramachandran Menon, they
ordered issue of notices to the Centre and state government
The state government opposed the petition saying that
PILs could not be entertained in service matters.
The bench orally observed that the petition was not
challenging Thachankery`s seniority or continuance in service,
but was against the government decision to reinstate him.
Thachankery had been suspended by the previous LDF
government on the charge of undertaking a foreign trip without
its consent. Allegations that he had gone abroad to meet
activists of fundamental outfits were also levelled.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is probing a
case in this regard.
A case for amassing wealth disproportionate to his
known sources of income is also pending against Thachankery.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender