Plea before Kerala HC to bring back teenager`s UAE husband
Kochi: The mother of a 17-year-old girl has sought the intervention of the Kerala High Court to bring back Mohammed Jasim, a national of the United Arab Emirates, who married her daughter and then divorced her 13 days later.
Accepting the petition, the court directed the police to ready a detailed report on the incident.
The girl, a student of Class 12, alleged that she "married" the UAE national June 13 this year, in Kozhikode district.
The girl said that she married the UAE national under pressure from a Muslim orphanage that helped in meeting her expenses and offered the family support after her father died.
After the marriage, the couple spent time in resorts in Kozhikode. Her "husband" suddenly left the country after 17 days.
When news of this incident first surfaced in the media in August, the police swung into action and arrested three people for being party to the marriage, including the mother of the UAE national, a woman who is a native of Kerala.
The woman`s second husband and a cousin of the girl who was misled into the marriage were also arrested.
All three are now out on bail.
Police investigations revealed that the "absconding" UAE national`s father was an Arab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16