PM pays homage to Karunakaran in Thrissur
Thrissur: Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Manmohan Singh, paid respects to the seniormost Congress leader, K Karunakaran, at the Town Hall here on Saturday.
Dr Singh, who arrived at kochi from New Delhi by a special aircraft at abut 1.20 pm, reached Thrissur by helicopter and immediately left by road to the Town hall where Karunakaran`s body was kept.
The Prime Minister was accompanied by Union minsiter, Gulam Nabi Azad and AICC general secretary, Mohsina Kidwai.
After placing a wreath, Dr Singh spoke to K Muraleedharan and Padmaja Venugopal, son and daugter of Karunakaran and spent some time with the bereaved family members.
Congress president, Sonia Gandhi, was in Kerala yesterday to pay her respects to Karunakaran.
Thousands of people from all walks of life had paid homage to Karunakaran at the town hall since this morning.
The hearse carrying the body, which left Thiruvananthapuram by road at around 2 pm yesterday, took nearly 18 hours to reach Thrissur this morning. Congress workers and public waited patiently for several hours to pay their respects at various points on the national highway through which the cortege passed.
The body will be kept at the congress office here for a short while after which it would be taken to `Muralimandiram`, the leader`s house at nearby Punkunnam where the cremation
will take place beside the tomb of his wife, Kalyanikitty amma who pre deceased 15 years ago.
Dr Singh was in the town hall for about seven minutes.
Kerala Governor, RS Gavai, Union ministers, AK Antony, Vayalar Ravi, KV Thomas, former minister Shashi Tharoor, state ministers, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, M A Baby and Jose Thettayil were among those present.
Owing to security considerations, shortly before the Prime
Minister`s arrival, public was not allowed inside the hall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly