Police action on SFI: VS demands judicial probe
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and leader
of Opposition in Kerala Assembly, V S Achuthanandan on Wednesday sought a judicial probe into police action against agitating
students belonging to CPI(M) affiliate SFI in Kozhikode
Government Engineering College.
Raising the issue through a submission in the House today,
Achuthanandan said government should also dismiss from service
the Assistant Police Commissioner, K Radhakrishnan Pillai, who
he said was responsible for the incident.
Replying to the submission, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
said the government was awaiting the report of DGP and further
action on the matter would be initiated after getting the
Police had fired four rounds in the air on Monday as they
said the agitators, who were protesting against the alleged
illegal admission of student Nirmal Madhavan to the college,
continued to pelt stones even after lathicharge and teargas.
At least 20 people were injured during the incident.
While the police maintain they fired only in the air, the
opposition alleges that they fired at the students.
On the question of admission of engineering student
Madhavan, Chandy said government has open mind on the issue
and government intention was only to provide facility for
Madhavan to complete his studies.
A technical committee constituted to find a solution to the
issue would be asked to suggest whether it would be possible
to transfer Madhavan to any other colleges in the district
itself or outside the district, Chandy said.
The Chief Minister had said in the Assembly yesterday that
Madhavan, who got admission in an engineering college in 2009,
could not continue his studies due to harassment and ragging
by SFI activists.
Madhavan was given admission at the Kozhikode Government
Engineering College as a special case considering an
application filed by him, Chandy had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!