Police action on SFI: VS demands judicial probe
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and leader
of Opposition in Kerala Assembly, V S Achuthanandan on Wednesday sought a judicial probe into police action against agitating
students belonging to CPI(M) affiliate SFI in Kozhikode
Government Engineering College.
Raising the issue through a submission in the House today,
Achuthanandan said government should also dismiss from service
the Assistant Police Commissioner, K Radhakrishnan Pillai, who
he said was responsible for the incident.
Replying to the submission, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
said the government was awaiting the report of DGP and further
action on the matter would be initiated after getting the
Police had fired four rounds in the air on Monday as they
said the agitators, who were protesting against the alleged
illegal admission of student Nirmal Madhavan to the college,
continued to pelt stones even after lathicharge and teargas.
At least 20 people were injured during the incident.
While the police maintain they fired only in the air, the
opposition alleges that they fired at the students.
On the question of admission of engineering student
Madhavan, Chandy said government has open mind on the issue
and government intention was only to provide facility for
Madhavan to complete his studies.
A technical committee constituted to find a solution to the
issue would be asked to suggest whether it would be possible
to transfer Madhavan to any other colleges in the district
itself or outside the district, Chandy said.
The Chief Minister had said in the Assembly yesterday that
Madhavan, who got admission in an engineering college in 2009,
could not continue his studies due to harassment and ragging
by SFI activists.
Madhavan was given admission at the Kozhikode Government
Engineering College as a special case considering an
application filed by him, Chandy had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands