Police probe Chandrasekharan murder clues in jail
Kannur: Police on Monday extended the probe into the killing of Revolutionary Marxist Party leader TP Chandrasekharan to the Central Jail here on clues that a prisoner could be the kingpin of the gang that carried out the murder.
According to police, investigation has pointed to the possibility of a prisoner, out on parole recently, being the kingpin of the gang that attacked and killed Chandrasekharan on Friday night at Vallikkad near Vatakara town in Kozhikode district.
Police searched the houses of some of the suspects at Chokli and Paral near Thalassery and seized materials used for making crude bombs.
Police also gathered details of phone calls made in and out from the prison in days preceding the murder which has sparked sharp political reaction with Congress and CPI(M) hurling charges at each other.
Home Minister Thiruvanchur Radhakrishnan today reviewing the progress of the case said the probe would be unbiased and the culprits were expected to be brought to book soon.
"Police have gained some clues. But they cannot be divulged now. We expect to reach a breakthrough soon",he said.
CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, who had asserted that his party had nothing to do with the murder and accused Congress leaders of trying to mislead the investigation, criticised the delay in arresting the culprits.
He said it appeared that the UDF Government wanted to drag the arrest of the culprits till the June 2 assembly by poll from Neyyattinkara was over as the ruling coalition was using the murder as a campaign theme against the LDF.
RMP activists alleged that the murder was carried out with CPI(M) leadership`s knowledge and it was now seeking to shift focus by creating unnecessary controversies.
Chandrasekharan, once a prominent CPI(M) leader in the party stronghold Onjiyam in Kozhikode district, was expelled a few years ago after he fell out with the leadership.
He later joined the RMP floated by CPI(M) rebels and wrested control of Onjiyam village panchayat, ending decades-old rule of the CPI(M).
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister