Police probe into fake pictures of Delhi rape victim on FB
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala police`s cyber wing has begun a probe into the uploading of the photograph of an engineering student from the state on a social networking site claiming it as the picture of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
The Hitech Inquiry Cell of the police started investigations after getting a complaint from the Kerala girl`s father who said the matter had caused distress and pain to his daughter.
According to police sources, an unidentified internet user had uploaded the photograph of the 21-year-old girl as the rape victim on the social networking site and lakhs of people liked and shared the photo thinking that it was the picture of the Delhi rape victim.
The girl, whose photograph was uploaded on the site, has the same name which a section of media had given to the Delhi rape victim.
Police suspect that the internet user, yet to be tracked down, might have accidentally come across the complainant girl`s profile, copied the image and uploaded it.
However, they are also not dismissing the possibility that the action was undertaken in an attempt to defame her by creating confusion.
Sources in the cyber cell said a case has been registered under Section 66 of the IT Act for spreading defaming messages.
The authorities of the social networking site have been approached to get the details of the account holder who posted the image, they said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal