Police to re-open Yuva Morcha leader murder case
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala police has decided to re-investigate the murder of a BJP youth wing leader who was hacked to death by CPI-M workers in Kannur district 13 years ago.
State vice-president of BJP`s youth wing Yuva Morcha, K T Jayakrishnan was murdered before Class six students in a classroom of a primary school, where he was teaching, in politically volatile Panur on December 1, 1999.
The politically sensitive case, in which four accused have been sentenced to various terms of imprisonment by the High Court, is being revived in the light of the "revelation" by a CPI(M) worker during interrogation in connection with the murder of Marxist rebel T P Chandrasekharan earlier this year.
According to police, Rajeesh, a CPI(M) worker, had revealed during interrogation that it was not the real culprits who had been made accused in the Jayakrishnan murder case.
He had alleged that the list of accused in the case was prepared by police based on a list of party workers given by the CPI(M) leaders in Kannur. BJP has since then been pressing for a CBI inquiry into the case.
According to Home Department sources, the case would be re-investigated by a special team of Crime Branch wing of the state police headed by DySP A P Shouktathali, who was a member of the SIT that probed the Chandrasekharan murder case.
In the Jayakrishnan murder case, police drew up a list of six accused, one of whom committed suicide before the sessions court pronounced the verdict. Four others were sentenced to various terms of imprisonment, while one was acquitted by the Sessions and High Court later.
This is the second political murder case re-opened by police in the wake of the Chandrasekharan murder case in last May, putting the CPI(M) on the defensive.
A former CPI-M activist from the party stronghold Onjiyam in Kozhikode district, Chandrasekharan had left the party and floated a parallel outfit called Revolutionary Marxist Party.
Most of the accused in the Chandrasekharan case, whose trial is to begin shortly, are local CPI(M) functionaries from Kozhikode and Kannur districts.
A controversial speech about the party eliminating its political foes later landed senior CPI(M) leader M M Mani in trouble with the police re-opening a 30-year-old murder of an INTUC leader in Idukki district.
Mani was arrested and remanded a few days ago.
The State and Central leadership of CPI(M), however, has refuted the charge against the party, asserting that physical annihilation of rivals has never been its policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly