Police to seek custody five held for Maoist links
Alappuzha: Police has sought custody of five persons arrested from Mavelikara near here last week for suspected links with Maoists.
Gopal, a former scientist of Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu, was among the five arrested, police sources said.
They were arrested for allegedly holding a "secret" meeting in a lodge in Mavelikara on Saturday and remanded to judicial custody after producing before the CJM there.
According to police, the meeting was suspected to have been convened for forming a students’ front in support of the Communist Party of India (Maoists).
Police moved a petition seeking the custody of the arrested at the CJM Court yesterday and it would come up for hearing on Thursday.
The others who are on remand are Rajesh, Shiyas, Bahuleyan and Devarajan, sources said.
Meanwhile, writers and human right organisations in Chennai have raised concerns over the arrest of Gopal, claiming that he was a "well known civil rights activist in Tamil Nadu and also an active member in the Committee for the Protection of Civil Rights (Tamil Nadu)."
They said he was never arrested before and no charges were pending against him.
A press release from Peoples Union for Human Rights, Federation for Peoples Rights, former scientist V Natarajan of Atomic Research Centre, Kalpakkam, Peoples Union for Civil Liberties also condemned the arrest of Gopal.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali