Power Min holding meet with State regulators on energy issues
Bangalore: Union Power Minister M Veerappa Moily on Sunday said he would convene a meeting soon in New Delhi of Electricity Regulatory Commission chairmen in States to discuss measures to strengthen the distribution system and cutting the high AT&D losses.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, he said the Centre needs to take a lot of steps in view of demand for power being high but added that it`s necessary for States to strengthen the distribution system.
"If the distribution system in States is not strengthened, whatever power we supply through the (national) grid, ultimately the distribution system of respective states cannot absorb it", he said.
Moily said he would convene a meeting of the regulators in the State level shortly, "may be within 20 days".
He said almost all state electricity boards are "financially not viable". "Even if the power is generated in respective states, the states are not in a position to purchase it".
The Minister said the Aggregate Transmission and Distribution (AT&D) losses in States range between 12.5 per cent and 40 per cent. "Ultimately, it should not exceed 7.5 per cent. Why should it be (so high)?".
"Average (AT&D losses) in the nation is 27 per cent. We need to curtail that".
He said a number of private generating companies, particularly in urban areas, are in a position to maintain AT&D losses at 7.5 per cent. "That means, so much of power can be conserved. I am addressing all these problems, one by one".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India