Power Min holding meet with State regulators on energy issues
Bangalore: Union Power Minister M Veerappa Moily on Sunday said he would convene a meeting soon in New Delhi of Electricity Regulatory Commission chairmen in States to discuss measures to strengthen the distribution system and cutting the high AT&D losses.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, he said the Centre needs to take a lot of steps in view of demand for power being high but added that it`s necessary for States to strengthen the distribution system.
"If the distribution system in States is not strengthened, whatever power we supply through the (national) grid, ultimately the distribution system of respective states cannot absorb it", he said.
Moily said he would convene a meeting of the regulators in the State level shortly, "may be within 20 days".
He said almost all state electricity boards are "financially not viable". "Even if the power is generated in respective states, the states are not in a position to purchase it".
The Minister said the Aggregate Transmission and Distribution (AT&D) losses in States range between 12.5 per cent and 40 per cent. "Ultimately, it should not exceed 7.5 per cent. Why should it be (so high)?".
"Average (AT&D losses) in the nation is 27 per cent. We need to curtail that".
He said a number of private generating companies, particularly in urban areas, are in a position to maintain AT&D losses at 7.5 per cent. "That means, so much of power can be conserved. I am addressing all these problems, one by one".
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy