Power Min holding meet with State regulators on energy issues
Bangalore: Union Power Minister M Veerappa Moily on Sunday said he would convene a meeting soon in New Delhi of Electricity Regulatory Commission chairmen in States to discuss measures to strengthen the distribution system and cutting the high AT&D losses.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, he said the Centre needs to take a lot of steps in view of demand for power being high but added that it`s necessary for States to strengthen the distribution system.
"If the distribution system in States is not strengthened, whatever power we supply through the (national) grid, ultimately the distribution system of respective states cannot absorb it", he said.
Moily said he would convene a meeting of the regulators in the State level shortly, "may be within 20 days".
He said almost all state electricity boards are "financially not viable". "Even if the power is generated in respective states, the states are not in a position to purchase it".
The Minister said the Aggregate Transmission and Distribution (AT&D) losses in States range between 12.5 per cent and 40 per cent. "Ultimately, it should not exceed 7.5 per cent. Why should it be (so high)?".
"Average (AT&D losses) in the nation is 27 per cent. We need to curtail that".
He said a number of private generating companies, particularly in urban areas, are in a position to maintain AT&D losses at 7.5 per cent. "That means, so much of power can be conserved. I am addressing all these problems, one by one".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government