Pre-poll violence: Kerala minister hurt in stone pelting
Thiruvananthapuram: Sporadic clashes between
LDF and UDF workers, including an incident of stone pelting in
which state ports minister V Surendran Pillai was injured, on Monday marred the conclusion of poll campaign in Kerala.
Tension prevailed in Poothura area in Thiruvananthapuram
constituency as a group of UDF workers sought to block the
campaign vehicle in which Pillai, the LDF candidate, was
canvassing for votes in the dying moments of the campaign for
the April 13 assembly elections, police said.
Pillai belongs to Kerala Congress (Thomas) faction, a
constituent of the ruling LDF.
UDF workers started creating problem alleging that there
had been an attempt earlier to block the convoy of Defence
Minister AK Antony in the area.
According to police, Pillai was hurt on his forehead
after being hit by a stone. He was taken to a private
hospital, police said.
Minor clashes were also reported from places like
Perithalmanna, Kayamkulam, Karunagapply and Kaipamangalam.
Police said there had been no major violence and the
overall situation was normal throughout the state. The
campaigning had remained peaceful by large so far.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis