Pre-poll violence: Kerala minister hurt in stone pelting
Thiruvananthapuram: Sporadic clashes between
LDF and UDF workers, including an incident of stone pelting in
which state ports minister V Surendran Pillai was injured, on Monday marred the conclusion of poll campaign in Kerala.
Tension prevailed in Poothura area in Thiruvananthapuram
constituency as a group of UDF workers sought to block the
campaign vehicle in which Pillai, the LDF candidate, was
canvassing for votes in the dying moments of the campaign for
the April 13 assembly elections, police said.
Pillai belongs to Kerala Congress (Thomas) faction, a
constituent of the ruling LDF.
UDF workers started creating problem alleging that there
had been an attempt earlier to block the convoy of Defence
Minister AK Antony in the area.
According to police, Pillai was hurt on his forehead
after being hit by a stone. He was taken to a private
hospital, police said.
Minor clashes were also reported from places like
Perithalmanna, Kayamkulam, Karunagapply and Kaipamangalam.
Police said there had been no major violence and the
overall situation was normal throughout the state. The
campaigning had remained peaceful by large so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video