Presenting facts basic duty of media: Antony
Alappuzha: Presenting facts objectively to the people was the prime task of media and not that of setting agenda, Defence Minister AK Antony observed here on Monday.
Speaking after inaugurating the 18th edition of Malayala Manorama daily from Alappuzha, Antony said even in today`s highly competitive atmosphere, media should not forget that their prime task was to reach facts and information to people.
"The prime task of media is to present facts correctly. They should not insist that agenda setting should get precedence over dissemination of facts," he said.
Alluding to the space given to controversies by media in the state, Antony said for Kerala it was now important to evolve a political consensus on development as the state had not kept pace with the economic strides made by the country as a whole.
While economy of several developed countries were struggling to come out of of crisis, India had been able to move forward. But Kerala had not been able to keep the pace of growth the country had gained, he said.
It was now essential to evolve a political consensus on the sustained development of the state without being marred by controversies and media had a major role to play in that process, he said.
Welcoming Malayala Manorama to his home district, Antony said the present day Alappuzha was just a shadow of what it had been in the past.
Popularly known as the "Venice of the East", Alappuzha was known for its flourishing industry and commerce as well as high socio-political consciousness of people. But over a period,the glory of Alappuzha had faded much. It was, however, heartening that there has been vigorous attempts from all quarters to regain the past glory, he said.
Minister of State for Power KC Venugopal said Malayala Manorama had always given a sense of direction for developmental issues of Alappuzha and addressing its socio-economic issues in a right perspective.
Malayala Manorama Chief Editor Mammnen Mathew welcomed the gathering and Editorial Director Thomas Jacob proposed a vote of thanks.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi