Presenting facts basic duty of media: Antony
Alappuzha: Presenting facts objectively to the people was the prime task of media and not that of setting agenda, Defence Minister AK Antony observed here on Monday.
Speaking after inaugurating the 18th edition of Malayala Manorama daily from Alappuzha, Antony said even in today`s highly competitive atmosphere, media should not forget that their prime task was to reach facts and information to people.
"The prime task of media is to present facts correctly. They should not insist that agenda setting should get precedence over dissemination of facts," he said.
Alluding to the space given to controversies by media in the state, Antony said for Kerala it was now important to evolve a political consensus on development as the state had not kept pace with the economic strides made by the country as a whole.
While economy of several developed countries were struggling to come out of of crisis, India had been able to move forward. But Kerala had not been able to keep the pace of growth the country had gained, he said.
It was now essential to evolve a political consensus on the sustained development of the state without being marred by controversies and media had a major role to play in that process, he said.
Welcoming Malayala Manorama to his home district, Antony said the present day Alappuzha was just a shadow of what it had been in the past.
Popularly known as the "Venice of the East", Alappuzha was known for its flourishing industry and commerce as well as high socio-political consciousness of people. But over a period,the glory of Alappuzha had faded much. It was, however, heartening that there has been vigorous attempts from all quarters to regain the past glory, he said.
Minister of State for Power KC Venugopal said Malayala Manorama had always given a sense of direction for developmental issues of Alappuzha and addressing its socio-economic issues in a right perspective.
Malayala Manorama Chief Editor Mammnen Mathew welcomed the gathering and Editorial Director Thomas Jacob proposed a vote of thanks.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM