Puerto Rican poet chosen for Kerala`s literary prize
Thiruvananthapuram: Noted Puerto Rican poet Jack Agueros has been selected for the Asan World Prize 2012, instituted in memory of Malayalam poet Kumaran Asan.
The award, comprising Rs three lakh, memento and citation, is instituted by the Asan Memorial Association at Kayikkara, the birth place of Kumaran Asan.
Agueros` children Natalia and Marcel Agueros have agreed to come from Puerto Rico to receive the award on behalf of their father who is not keeping well, the Association office-bearers told a press meet.
As Agueros was not in a position to make it to Kerala, the organisers had invited Latin American poet Aracelis Girmay to deliver the Asan World Prize lecture during the award presentation on May 5, they said.
A week-long literary festival "Sahitheeyam 2012" would be conducted to coincide with the 140th birth anniversary of Kumaran Asan as part of the award ceremony.
Kumaran Asan (1873?1924) triggered a revolution in Malayalam poetry in the first quarter of the 20th century, transforming it from the metaphysical to the lyrical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!