Racket diverting imported coal unearthed in Visakhapatnam
Visakhapatnam: Visakhapatnam Police on Sunday
unearthed a racket of diversion of imported coal from the port
here and arrested 11 persons in this connection.
"We have arrested 11 persons including two supervisors of
two private companies who indulged in diversion of imported
coal from the port here and sold it to other places," Deputy
Commissioner of Police (Crimes) J Brahma Reddy told a news agency.
Following a complaint from Sharat Chatterji & Company,
which deals in transportation and lease of imported coal, that
actual delivery of coal was not taking place and that they
suspected diversion of coal which resulted in a loss of over
Rs 3 crore to them, the police registered a case.
According to the complainant, the coal imported from
Australia which was supposed to reach the godowns of Tirupati
Fuels Pvt Ltd at Parvada near Visakhapatnam was diverted.
During the probe, it was detected that two supervisors
Ramana Murthy (Sharat Chatterji & Co) and Swaroop (Tirupati
Fuels) had "colluded" and were allegedly diverting one truck
load out of three truck loads during transportation for the
past one month and had so far diverted 30 truck loads of coal,
the DCP said.
The market price of each truck load is around Rs 3 lakh,
but the accused used to sell it between Rs 1.5 lakh and Rs 1.6
lakh, the senior police officer said adding, "the stolen coal
was being sold to buyers in Bihar, Pune and other parts of
Following the confession of the duo, the police arrested
nine persons including some buyers and seized five trucks, two
cars, 25 metric tonnes of diverted coal and Rs 11.51 lakh cash
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre